Hi everyone! I just found out that we are still in the running for the 2017 Edible Tree Grant offered by Tree Canada!
Tree Canada, if you’re reading this, please select the RCG for the 2017 Edible Tree Grant. Our “trilobite” is almost ready for all those beautiful fruit trees and bushes!! We’re super-excited to get those plants in the ground!!
Hello all, we are skipping the next scheduled committee meeting, because everyone put in a great deal of time and effort into the garden build this past weekend. Next meeting time will be announced. Thanks all!
Thank you to Samantha and Michelle for their amazing success in organizing the “Spring UP!! for the Renfrew Community Garden” fundraiser party. Due to their amazing effort, the party raised a good chunk of money towards the opening this spring!! Please check out the Benefactors tab to view a complete list of community organizations and companies that supported this fundraiser!
Hello, please note that we will not be having a meeting this coming Monday. Next meeting will be on Monday, April 10 at 6pm at the RCA Hall pub downstairs. Thank you.
Thank you to Martha & Diane at First Calgary Financial on 16th Avenue for sending us the great news. This grant couldn’t come to us at a better time!
“Raised Garden Bed” Building Planning Meeting
Attending: Isabelle, James, Ken, Heike, Lisa
Meeting Commenced 6:05 PM, Adjourned 7:30 PM
Not knowing what the future holds, we tentatively plan to build all 27 beds (minus the number of beds that the Tetra Society will contribute). This may change in the future depending on our funding status at the time that we need to order lumber. We will also build the compost bins, storage bin, 2 benches, a sign frame and trellises if all goes well.
- Order the lumber and materials for delivery to the garden site on April 21, 2017
- Build the beds on April 21-22, 2017
- If additional days are required to complete the building plan for April 29-30, 2017
- The beds will be stockpiled around the exterior periphery of the garden until they will be placed into their final positions in May. (The external boundary of the RCG will be laid out on April 22-23, concurrently with bed building.)
- Volunteers will sign up for four hour shifts. Email invitations will be sent out to the volunteers with a link to Doodle Polls where they can commit to a shift. Isabelle will coordinate the invitations.
- We have volunteers coming from the following organizations…
- Ward 9 Staff
- Kiwanis Club
- Winston Heights Community Garden
- Airport Authority
- RCA/Renfrew Community
Raised Garden Bed Build
- James will coordinate the actual raised garden bed building including
- finalize the lumber and materials (15″ screws, etc) required
- order the lumber (from what supplier TBD)
- have the lumber delivered to the site
- coordinate and supervise the bed building on site for all shifts
- finalize the list of tools required and advise on what to borrow or rent (Tool Library?)
- Heike will coordinate banner, sandwich boards & fliers
- Kids will deliver fliers to the surrounding homes (around the garden) to let residents know that the build is starting, significant dates, and asking them to be our “Garden Guardians”.
Compost Bins, Storage Bins, Benches, Signs & Trellises
- Lisa will put together plans for these other garden elements and allocate materials from the East Village donated wood, make a list of any additional materials required and coordinate the order with James.
SCOTTS MiracleGRO is donating Soil to the Renfrew Community Garden. But we needed to know how much soil to order. Stanley Jones School/Alice Jamieson Academy to the rescue!! Thanks to their amazing geometry skills, we have ordered 43 yards of soil for the project. Great JOB SJS/AJA! We really appreciate your help!!