Present: Heike, Samantha, Catherine, Martin, Sierra, Shelley, Lisa
Commenced 7:05 PM, Adjourned 8:05 PM
- Gratitude to the Compost Council of Canada and the City of Calgary Folks who are currently helping to build our compost bin (and maybe our storage bin)! What a difference that will make to our garden! It is expected to be mostly completed before winter officially begins.
Kiwanis Club Update
- The CHINOOK KIWANIS CLUB is donating $1000 towards the purchase of the benches, picnic table, bike rack.
- The NORTHMOUNT KIWANIS CLUB will contribute the remaining funds required to purchase the benches, picnic table and bike rack. They are also contributing a dedication rock that will recognize the Kiwanis Club as a contributor to the RCG.
- New Concept Landscaping & Contracting Ltd. is contributing the labour and machines needed to install the new features!
- The RCA Board has asked us to let Corianne know in advance about any meetings we may be planning so that she can schedule them in the RCA calendar. This does not include meetings that we are holding at the Friday Pub Nights (these do not have to be booked).
- We should move out any edibles from underneath the RCA patio including bonemeal. Does anyone have a place where we can store these?
- The RCA Board is asking us to prepare a special budget for this coming up spring and summer project expenses. This is good for us because the RCA Board will approve all of our potential expenses in advance (even if they exceed the RCA Financial Policy limits). This will minimize the hoop jumping next spring when we get back into spending mode!
- The RCA Board is asking us to prepare an annual maintenance budget that will be attached to the RCA Business Plan which the RCA is currently working on.
Balancing & Closing the Books for 2017
- We will need to reconcile our 2017 spending and revenue against the following to close the books on this year.
- Parks Foundation balance
- RCA RCG Account balance
- 2017 Membership List
Planning for 2018 – Project
- We received $1000 from Stanley Jones School for the Historical Garden Weeding project this summer. We must ensure that this money (any gaming money) is spent STRICTLY on AGLC approved items.
- Ideas – If there is a project or idea that you want to lead and create, please provide a short description of your concept, a list of the materials that you will need to purchase and the approximate cost of each item to the RCG committee co-Chairs, Heike or Lisa. The deadline for submissions is early February 2018. We will combine all of the project budgets into one large RCG project budget and submit to the RCA Board at the February Board meeting.
- Trees, bushes, perennials (Lisa)
- Metal tags and wire for labelling trees and bushes (Lisa)
- Stamp set (Lisa)
- Signage (we need to assemble a list of potential signs and then order/create them)
- Garden soil to top up beds (Lisa)
- Compost/manure required to enrich the beds
- Tree watering bags (about 6) (Lisa)
- Bunny protection for bushes and trees over winter
- Bulletin board/Sign
- Street signs (eg. 8th Ave, Renfrew Crescent)
- Banners, signs, sandwich boards
- Compost/Storage Bin accessories/materials (eg. Concrete sidewalk squares)
- Cinder blocks for the Water Tank
- Motion Lighting
- Insect Hotel
At this point, the RCG committee moved and approved the purchase of new garden soil and compost/manure for Spring 2018. It was generally agreed that the beds need to be topped up.
Planning for 2018 – Annual
Action plan for Winter 2017/2018:
- Update bylaws
- When should renewing members pay? (End of October?)
- When should elections be held? (End of October?)
- Add a clause that asks members to keep the gravel clean.
- Maximum number of beds per member?
- Advertising for 2018
- Eduational Seminars
- Spring Up! for the Renfrew Community Garden Fundraiser (discussed as an option)