Many grateful thanks to Audrey, Director of the Parkdale Community Garden! On Monday, September 7, 2015, Audrey hosted Heike and me on an extensive tour of the gardens. To learn more about the Parkdale Gardens check it out at http://parkdalecommunity.com/garden/.
Some of the interesting facts that we learned on our tour of the Parkdale Community Garden are:
- Audrey arranged a “progressive lease” with the community association, something we’ve never heard of and may work well for us!
- The Parkdale Community Garden is a phased project over many years, starting with a simple circle of beds last summer, a second circle of beds as well as herb gardens and a shed in the second year (this summer), and so much more planned in the years to come.
- The Parkdale Community Garden has benefitted from a number of funding sources including grants, donations-in-kind and EVENTS such as a Founders Dinner, History Nights, bottle drives and engraved pavers, to name a few.
- To get where they are today, they’ve needed all the usual Community Garden approvals, an architect’s plan as well as a Development Plan for the shed and an environmental assessment for the in ground vegetable gardens.
- Audrey’s leadership and a dedicated group of volunteer gardeners have made the Parkdale Community Garden an amazing success – and well worth a good look if you’re in the area.
The Parkdale Gardens are celebrating their “Medieval Fair” themed Grand Opening on Saturday, September 26, 2015 from 2-5 PM and is open to the public.