RCG Meeting Minutes from April 11, 2014

Renfrew Community Garden Project Meeting – April 11, 2014 – 7:20 pm
Members in Attendance: Lisa, Heike, Cari, Marzena, Jerry, Liane
Members Absent: Maureen, Samantha

1.  OLD BUSINESS
1.a.  Review of Last Week’s Minutes
–  item 6d was amended to read:  Rain Barrels to be added to Blog Ideas tab
–  minutes approved with above-noted change
1.b.  Update on Boys & Girls Club water line/meter issue
–  to date Lisa has not received any further information from the Boys & Girls Club
–  Lisa will talk to Ted from the Boys & Girls Club and encourage him to get a response from management regarding tapping into their waterline
–  discussion ensued regarding how we will pay for water and lock the faucet

2.  NEW BUSINESS
–  Lisa distributed a package including an Agenda, April 4th Meeting Minutes and a Renfrew Community Garden Project Plan (119 items)

2.a.  Updated Timeline – focus on Application submission
2.a.i.  Assign deadlines for approval
2.a.i.1.  1st Draft
2.a.i.1.a.  Community Garden Plan (map + bylaws)
2.a.i.1.b.  Financial Plan/Budget
Date: June 27, 2014
To:  Community Garden Planning Committee
For:  Review and comments

2.a.i.2.  2nd Draft
2.a.i.2.a.  Community Garden Plan (map + bylaws)
2.a.i.2.b.  Financial Plan/Budget
2.a.i.2.c.  Community Need/Community Support Documents (letters, line-of-sight survey)
Date: July 25, 2014
To:  Community Garden Planning Committee
For:  Approval

2.a.i.3.  3rd/Final Draft
2.a.i.3.a.  Community Garden Plan (map + bylaws)
2.a.i.3.b.  Garden Group Information
2.a.i.3.c.  Financial Plan/Budget
2.a.i.3.d.  Insurance
Date: September 5, 2014
To:  our guys at Parks, Boys & Girls Club and Renfrew Community Association (RCA)
For:  Review and comments

2.a.i.4.  Formal Application Package submission
2.a.i.4.a.  Garden Plan (map + bylaws)
2.a.i.4.b.  Garden Group Information
2.a.i.4.c.  Community Need/Community Support Documents (letters, line-of-sight survey)
2.a.i.4.d.  Financial Plan/Budget
2.a.i.4.e.  Insurance
Date: October 3, 2014
To:  City of Calgary
For:  Approval

–  LISA MOVED THAT THE UPDATED TIMELINE BE ADOPTED AS REVISED.  NO OBJECTIONS.  ADOPTED.

2.b.  Garden Subcommittee Planning
2.b.i.  Garden Design Subcommittee
–  Marzena requested for the subcommittee member’s email addresses
–  Marzena asked if the City has a specific concept and/or recommendations in mind for our community garden
–  Lisa suggested that the Planning Committee be invited to a Garden Subcommittee meeting to brainstorm ideas for our garden.  We would like our garden to represent/reflect our community.  She also suggested adding a brick grill pad into the design/budget plan.
–  Discussion ensured regarding touring other community gardens for inspiration.  Heike will post some suggested community gardens on the blog and perhaps organize a group excursion.
–  Jerry mentioned growing peanuts for the first year.  Peanuts rehabilitate the soil by pulling out toxins rendering the soil organic.
–  Jerry suggested visiting several community gardens and request a copy of their community garden application; specifically their site plan.
–  At some point we will need to contact ATCO and request current gas line location markings.
2.b.i.1.  What is our next deadline – 1st draft June 27, 2014
2.b.i.2.  When will we meet between now and the next deadline?
2.b.i.3.  What will we achieve between now and the next deadline?
2.b.i.3.a.  Choose team lead
2.b.i.3.b.  Make some decisions
2.b.i.3.c.  Document the plan in the form of a map
2.b.i.3.d.  Present the map at the general Planning Committee meetings
2.b.i.3.e.  Submit a document at the next deadline

2.b.ii.  Bylaw Subcommittee
–  Jerry is currently working on our constitution
2.b.ii.1.  What is our next deadline?  1st draft June 27, 2014
2.b.ii.2.  When will we meet between now and the next deadline?
2.b.ii.3.  What will we achieve between now and the next deadline
2.b.ii.3.a.  Choose team lead
2.b.ii.3.b.  Make some decisions
2.b.ii.3.c.  Document the bylaws
2.b.ii.3.d.  Present the Bylaws at the general Planning Committee meetings
2.b.ii.3.e.  Submit a document at the next deadline

2.b.iii.  Budget Subcommittee
2.b.iii.1.  What is our next deadline?  1st draft June 27, 2014
2.b.iii.2.  When will we meet between now and the next deadline?
2.b.iii.3.  What will we achieve between now and the next deadline
2.b.iii.3.a.  Choose team lead
2.b.iii.3.b.  Make some decisions
2.b.iii.3.c.  Document the budget
2.b.iii.3.d.  Present the budget at the general Planning Committee meetings
2.b.iii.3.e.  Submit a document at the next deadline

2.c.  Environmental Site Assessment discussion.  Lisa has not had a response from our Parks Liaison Ron Buchan.  It was suggested that Lisa contact Gian-Carlo Carra our Ward 9 Councillor for support with this issue.  Liane was asked to post link to ESA documents online.

2.d.  Lisa suggested that subcommittees present an update at each future Planning Committee meeting.

2.e.  Heike suggested we host a booth at the RCA Stampede Breakfast.

2.f.  Liane donated a pair of tickets to the Calgary Horticultural Society’s 2014 Garden Show.  The donation raised $10 (thanks Cari) which will be forwarded to the Finance Committee for deposit.

Meeting adjourned:  8:45 pm
Next Meeting: Friday, April 25, 2014   7:00 – 8:30 pm (RCA Pub)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s