I will do my best to share with you the salient points of our meeting today.
- We have a rudimentary project plan started. It roughly indicates that we can have a garden installed this spring IF we are able to meet our scheduled objectives, but it will be tight.
- The planning committee undertook an informal survey to gauge the community support around Reader Crescent for a community garden in the Reader Crescent green space. The results were 7 in favor, 7 opposed, 1 on the fence. From this information, it was agreed upon in a vote of the Renfrew Community Garden Planning Committee that we would eliminate Reader Crescent from our list of potential sites.
- In a report submitted by Amber, we learned that there has already been soil remediation on the Boys & Girls Club site, east of the Hangar. In the remediation process, the soil quality would be brought up to residential standards. Amber suggests that the City should have complete records of past soil analysis reports as well as a complete history of the remediation of the site and the committee feels it is essential to obtain these records as we proceed through the process of selecting a site for our community garden.
- The committee feels that we are at a crossroads, and considering the time constraints on this project, we have posted a FORMAL SURVEY on this blog to ascertain what the committee and community feels we should do now. Should we commit to pursuing a community garden on the Boys & Girls Club site or should we continue to explore the many options (including the Boys & Girls Club) before we make a final decision. This survey will close on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 at 9:00 PM at which time the results will be posted.
- Regardless of the results of the survey, the committee feels it is time to begin a relationship with the Boys & Girls Club at the Hangar.
- Cari and Samantha will attend the Renfrew Community Association board meeting on Tuesday, February 25, 2014, to introduce the Renfrew Community Gardening Planning Committee.
- OUR NEXT MEETING: Friday, February 28, 2014, 7:00 PM at the Renfrew Community Center Pub
Thank you to everyone who attended our meeting today and especially to our guests from Reader Crescent. Personally I would like to extend my gratitude for the amazing effort already demonstrated by our committee members. Cari, Samantha and Maureen for canvassing Reader Crescent and Amber for researching the brownfield and water issues we are currently contending with in our decision making process. And welcome to our new members!!
Please let me know if I missed anything critical in these minutes.