Meeting Commenced: 7:07 PM
Meeting Adjourned: 8:23 PM
Attending: Amber, Corianne, Crystal, Lesley, Lindsey, Samantha, Mikki, Lisa
Bylaws were reviewed and updated. The new bylaws will be posted shortly and will become effective immediately.
A new budget will be created and submitted to the RCA for approval for summer 2021.
Heike’s sign (the driftwood sign at the north entrance to the garden) was revitalized and painted!
Compost bins, repaired last fall were in great condition all summer! The composters produced something like 6 gallons of beautiful, black compost this fall!!
The waterbarrel is still on loan to Saddleridge Community Garden.
Copper tags were stamped with tree and bush names for labelling the plants at the garden!!
The annual election was completed. The position of Chair was won by acclimation.
Garden Roles & Positions
Thank you to all those who took on Garden Roles this summer. Jon & Rebecca did composting, Rebecca wrote the Renfrew Reflections articles all year! Amber’s work as Membership Coordinator is ongoing and awesome! Mikki oversaw the Historical (public pick) bed and Lisa grew potatoes for donation in the donation bed.
For 2021, the roles are:
- Chair – Lisa
- Membership Coordinator – Amber
- Garden Correspondent – Tamara
- Grant Writer – Lindsey
- Site & Grounds Managers – Corianne & Lesley
- Forest – Lisa
- Donation Bed – vacant
- Historical (public pick bed) – vacant
Lindsey is our new grant writer. Please keep your eyes open for any grants that might be beneficial to the RCG and suggest them to Lindsey.
- Native Plant Council Grant
- … please contribute your ideas and suggestions.
We discussed what “volunteer contribution” means to the Renfrew Community Garden. The bylaws were updated to reflect our discussion. In addition, several great thoughts were shared:
- The RCG welcomes all members.
- We recognize that everyone has different strengths and abilities and our volunteer opportunities reflect that.
- Volunteer opportunities are varied in nature and include
– the physical labour of garden maintenance
– grant writing
– membership coordinating
– social media guru
– social events coordinating
- Work effort towards recognized garden roles is time contributed to the volunteer requirement.
- A member is encouraged to speak to the Chair if they have specific volunteer roles in mind at the beginning of the garden season.
- Finally, we were discussing small group work parties as a new initiative, a way for individuals to catch up on volunteer hours if they’ve been unable to attend scheduled events. These would be unscheduled, more spontaneous but pre-approved work efforts put towards a predetermined task. This would not be independent work but work efforts that are co-supervised, and the volunteer time reported following the work effort.
- We discussed applying “meetings” as volunteer time, perhaps at half value (1 hour of meeting = 1/2 hour of volunteer work time), but this was not put to vote and not moved at this time. Something to consider for the future.